Bookish (and not so Bookish) Thoughts

Link up below!

1. Wouldn't it be fun to just dedicate a Pinterest board to really inappropriate pins to freak people out? Maybe one on tantric sex (or go the opposite and put one for coping with a cheating spouse). Or some sort of disgusting foot fungus. Maybe another one on the best way to rob a bank. One, when I first joined Facebook I wrote "Does anyone know a good divorce lawyer?" as my status and my husband and I made a bet on who would anxiously respond first. It was fun.

2. This is my new favorite quote and has pretty much been the story of my summer/life:



3. I really have no business spending more money on kids books right now, but I couldn't resist this adorable custom made book Lostmy.Name book for Sawyer. I scoured the internet for a code and ended up getting it, with shipping, for like $22. It's from England, so it's extra fancy (although I'm worried they're going to "misspell" words like "colour" and I'm going to have to explain to him when he's older not to do it).



4. Hilary needs to make up her mind. 2016 is basically around the corner and I need to know whether or not to start making posters.

5. I had lunch with a student the other day and it was so nice to see a member of my most favorite class. She had just gone to Europe and made me want to travel so badly! I'm already sad about starting the school year soon and not having "my" kids there.

6. I'm starting to worry that registering for the half marathon in February was a mistake. I've been running three days a week for about a half an hour, but I know once school starts I'm going to be so short on time between my job, family, household stuff, and having some shred of a social life. It's non-refundable, but I could sell my bib on Craig's List when the time gets closer. I know it's far away and I probably could buckle down and train in ten weeks- I have like 28. Things are overwhelming right now and I'm not going to make any dramatic decisions yet.

7. I'm pretty sure Fight Club 2 is a mistake. 

8. I'm leaving Sawyer for a few hours at the daycare provider's house on Friday morning in order to prepare them for the real thing on August 11 (I plan on doing it another morning well). Actually, let's be honest. It's for me. I can barely even think about leaving him every day without crying. Ugh. I enjoy my job and really, really miss being around people all day, but I've gotten very used to being with him. I know everything about the kid and the day care lady will not- she won't know his cries, how he likes to be jiggled around when he's falling asleep, or that he loves to look at himself in the mirror. I mean I guess I could tell her those things, but still. Or what if he's a pain the ass and she hates him? He's a fairly easy baby, but still, he may act differently with her and a new place. What is she doesn't change him enough? What if she doesn't... Sigh. It's a necessary evil, and I know it will get easier as time goes on, but in the meantime my heart will just keeping breaking a little every single day

9. My husband and I have spent some time recently talking about The Goldfinch, since he read it before I did. It's been years since we both read something at the same time, or in close proximity, so I had forgotten how nice it is to have a live-in sort of mini book club. I'm a huge proponent of partners having separate interests, but it is nice when you share a few hobbies. 

10. I pulled out my writing project from last year and reread it. I like it enough to keep working on it, but I did start noticing some flaws- like some of dialogue (natural dialogue can sometimes be such a challenge). I've left the docs open on my laptop, hoping that every day I'll just add to it. Or at least think about it...

 

10 comments:

  1. 2. That quote is one of my motto's for life. I always joke with my husband that if/when (ha ha) I'm Minister for Health, my first ruling will be "Everyone go swim in the ocean." Cures all, restores the spirit.

    3. You cannot imagine how often I tell my kids that 'colour' is not spelt 'color' and 'Mum' is not spelt 'Mom'... :-/

    7. Having only just seen this film recently (I know, I know), I agree - not a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Isak Dinesen quote is so true. I might add that water in general works, not just salt water...water in lakes, rivers, and creeks, even bathtubs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Awesome idea. Why didn't I think of that?
    4. I thought I saw on Facebook yesterday that she did. Clearly I can't trust social media.
    8. I get you. Going back to work was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. There really isn't anything that'll make it easier. It's good that you love your job, that will help.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the quote! I always feel healed after spending time at the ocean. Must. Go. Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea leaving the docs open. Maybe that's what I need to do to get motivated to work on my WIP (which, let's get real, is still mostly in my head) or my lesson plans...Good luck on yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't believe there's going to be a Fight Club 2, I am just...ignoring that information. Why ruin something that was pretty damn perfect :(

    It's always nice to be able to talk to someone about a book isn't it? It makes me happy, just having a chat about a book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is one of my favorite quotes! I have this collage print framed & hanging in our bedroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ugh Fight Club 2...can someone send Hollywood a memo to stop making sequels already!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fight Club 2!!? Why, oh why!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 3. I've been seeing these books all over instagram lately. I really need to order one! "Colour" and "favourite" look so much prettier visually though ;)
    8. Oh man, good luck Momma! I can't speak from experience (yet), but from what I've heard from friends that have gone back to work is it's always harder on us than our babes.

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS